I used to blame artist like Kara Walker and Michael Ray Charles for limiting the subject matter of black artists to being black. And then I woke up and realized that the art world embraces the outsider theory, and thats why you don’t hear about black artist making things not about being black. So it’s not their fault, but i’m still not a fan of their work.
21. White. Female. Community College student. Sexy. Yum Yum haha. This is a blog I made to vent…
this blog is contemporary art.
I was told yesterday that my work was too calm, cool, and calculated and
"as the only black person in a room full of white people, you kinda have to say things nicely to be heard, right? so maybe you shouldn’t be so nice. get rough and angry."
1) I don’t make art for white people.
2) rough and angry is what is expected of me. I dont have time for that. you want my work to be angry and rough so I can be dismissed because its angry?
3) my work is calm, cool, and calculated because it is conceptual. I consider every element of my work and present it as a professional. I was never an art student. I am an artist.
4) I sure as shit don’t make art for white people.
yes. just. yes.